Visual analytics is important for every empirical software engineering researcher. It combined the principles of visualization with data from mining software repositories and statistics. I’ve been teaching a class in that subject since 2015 and always got a lot of interest from the students who like the tools like Tableau, Tibco Spotfire and QlikSense.
Some of the work we did are presented in these papers:
- Visualizing code stability
- Supporting decision meetings with heatmaps
- Visualizing architectural dependencies
- Selecting the right visualizations
- Dashboard development guide
- Mining data in software engineering